The Lorain High Fall sports season is scheduled to officially start this upcoming week. The first official day/time for each sport is as follows:
- Volleyball – Saturday, August 1, 9:00am-2:00pm in the Lorain High gym. Athletes will enter through the gym doors located on the north end of the building.
- JV and varsity – Saturday, August 1, 8:00am-2:00pm in the stadium
- Freshmen – Monday August 3, 10:00am-12:00noon in the stadium
- Girls Soccer – Monday, August 3, 9:00am-11:00am behind the stadium
- Boys Soccer – Monday, August 3, 4:30-6:00 in the stadium
- Cross Country – Monday, August 3, 9:30-11:30. Athletes will report to the north end of the school outside of the gym entrance.
- Golf – please contact the Athletic Department for days and times as this is based on course availability – 440-830-4008.
The number of athletes that arrive on the first day for each sport will determine the days and times for the remainder of the week.
All sports teams will be required to follow certain protocols due to the Covid-19 pandemic. These protocols are in place to create the safest possible environment for the athletes and coaches. This information will be provided to athletes on the first day of tryouts/practice. These protocols are unique to each individual sport, team and level and are based on a variety of factors such as:
- The dynamics of the space in which the tryout/practice is taking place.
- The number of athletes that are participating
- How the tryout/practice is structured including the types of drills that are being conducted.
To be able to participate in any athletic related activities, all athletes must:
- Wear a mask to and from all sport-related activities. This includes when entering and exiting all facilities.
- Bring their own personal water. The amount of water should be based on the type of workout along with whether or not the workout is taking place indoors or outdoors. For example, conditioning outdoors in the heat may require the athlete to bring more water to stay hydrated.
- Arrive wearing the proper workout attire. The athlete should make sure to dress sport-appropriate. An athlete’s gear/attire can have an impact on how he/she performs. For example, a football player with cleats will run and cut better than an athlete wearing gym shoes. A volleyball player wearing knee pads will likely be more apt to dive for a ball. These are all factors that should be taken into consideration.
- Leave all valuables at home. Locker rooms will be available, but not during the first few days so all athletes must come properly dressed. We also recommend that athletes leave all valuables at home due to the fact that lockers will not be available at this time.
- Have their online paperwork completed in Final Forms. Please visit https://lorainathletics.org/2020/06/08/attention-athletes-online-paperwork-must-be-completed-before-you-can-start-workouts/ for more information. Feel free to contact the Athletic Department if you need assistance – 440-830-4008.
- Have an up-to-date physical by the start of the season on August 1, 2020. Physicals are not mandated for preseason activities, but they are required come the official start of the season. Physical forms can be accessed by going to https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/sportshub2-uploads-prod/files/sites/382/2020/06/15144638/PPE_2020-21-HS.pdf. Parents may also contact the Athletic Department at 440-830-4008 to make arrangements to pick up a physical form.
Any athletes that plan on participating in a Fall sport, but are unable to do so at this time should please contact the Athletic Department at 440-830-4008. We understand that we are dealing with a very unique situation so we are prepared to accommodate students that have concerns about participating at this time.