The middle school football and volleyball teams will begin workouts over the next few weeks. Day and times are as follows:
- Football – Tues & Thurs starting next week from 6:00-7:30 at the Longfellow Football Field
- Volleyball – Tues and Wed starting next week from 10:00-11:30 in the Longfellow Gym
- Football – Monday, Wed and Thurs starting next week from 4:00-6:00 at the Southview Football Field
- Volleyball – Tues and Thurs starting next week from 9:00-11:00 in the Southview Gym
General Johnnie Wilson
- Football – Parent and athlete meeting on Thursday, July 23 at 6pm on the football field behind GJW.
- Volleyball – Athletes and/or parents can pick up information on Tuesday, July 21 at 11am on the football field behind GJW.
All schools will be required to follow certain protocols due to the Covid-19 pandemic. These protocols are in place to create the safest possible environment for the athletes and coaches. This information will be provided to athletes and parents on the first day of workouts.
To be able to participate in any athletic related activities, all athletes must:
- Bring their own personal water. The amount of water should be based on the type of workout along with whether or not the workout is taking place indoors or outdoors. For example, conditioning outdoors may require the athlete to bring more water to stay hydrated. Coaches will provide recommendations to athletes based on the workout format.
- Arrive to the workout wearing the proper workout attire. The athlete should make sure to dress sport-appropriate. An athlete’s gear/attire can have an impact on how he/she performs. For example, a football player with cleats will run and cut better than an athlete wearing gym shoes. A volleyball player wearing knee pads will likely be more apt to dive for a ball. These are all factors that should be taken into consideration.
- We will not have locker rooms available until after the season officially starts on August 1, 2020 so all athletes must come properly dressed. We also recommend that athletes leave all valuables at home due to the fact that lockers will not be available until August 1st.
- Have a completed Emergency Medical Authorization Form. Coaches will have them available on the first day of workouts at which time parents may complete the form. Parents also have the option of printing the form and completing it prior to the first workout by going to – https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/sportshub2-uploads-prod/files/sites/382/2017/11/27224326/6512feec1c754920-EMA.pdf. If need be, parents may also make arrangements to pick up a copy by contacting the Athletic Department at440-830-4008.
Athletes that plan to participate will need to have an up-to-date physical by the start of the season on August 1, 2020. Physicals are not mandated for preseason activities, but they are required to be able to try out for teams on August 1st. This is VERY important as we do not want to see any kids left out.
Parents are strongly encouraged not to wait until the last minute as it may be difficult to get your physical exam completed by the required deadline.
They will be offering free physicals by appointment through http://Center4Orthopedics.eventbrite.com from July 13th-24th. No more than one visitor per student will be permitted in the building. Space is limited, so please sign up quickly to reserve your spot.
A copy of the 2020-21 physical form can be accessed by going to https://lorainathletics.org/2020/06/25/free-sports-physicals-5/. Parents may also contact the Athletic Department office to make arrangements to pick up a copy – 440-830-4008.